At The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast of Portland, Maine, we take great pride in the part we play in protecting our environment. Our inn is environmentally friendly and we are continually identifying ways in which we can improve our environmental impact, while at the same time pampering our guests with amenities. We shine in the areas of waste management, reduced energy demands, water conservation, and educating our guests on how they can help reduce their environmental impact while staying at The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast.
How We Reduce, Reuse & Recycle
All of our business, personal, and guest non-organic waste is sorted for recycling. Plastic, glass, and metal recycling has reduced trash collection by 80% in the last five years. In our high season, we put out less than three 13-gallon trash bags of landfill waste for the entire week after hosting 56 guests a week (8 guests per day x 7 days = 56)!
- Composting all organic materials (including yard waste) in partnership with Garbage to Garden has reduced our landfill waste by approximately 1 ton each year.
- SimpleHuman wall-mount pumps for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and refillable hand soap containers have eliminated the need for single-use disposable containers.
- Providing BeeKind® high-end body products by Gilchrist & Soames which are free of parabens and phthalates. Environmentally-friendly which supports bee research.
- We use natural cleaning products instead of toxic cleaning supplies.
- All guest rooms feature low-flow toilets, shower heads, and sinks.
- All light bulbs have been replaced with low-energy LED bulbs.
- We encourage our guests to reuse towels and linens throughout their stay. They are changed every three days, by request, or upon check-out.
- As towels and linens need to be replaced, they are donated to local charities.
- Eco-friendly and durable (yet extremely comfortable) sheets and pillow cases by Comphy.
- We use phosphate-free laundry soap.
- Solar path lighting is used for guest safety at night.
- Major appliances have been replaced with ENERGY STAR high-efficiency and energy-conserving models.
- As we renovate, non-VOC paint is used exclusively.
How Guests Can Help
- Sort your trash into our recycling and composting areas to help reduce waste. You can do this in-room for recycling. Compost is located in the dining room.
- Reduce your water consumption by reusing your towels for multiple days and/or requesting to keep the same sheets during your stay.
- Conserve your energy consumption by turning off room lights, fireplaces, or air conditioners while you are away from the inn.
Our eco-friendly efforts have helped us achieve TripAdvisor’s GreenLeader Award status since the launch of the program in 2013. We currently hold a Gold Achievement level—the highest for Portland, Maine.