At The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast of Portland, Maine, we take great pride in the part we play in protecting our environment. Our inn is environmentally friendly and we are continually identifying ways in which we can improve our environmental impact, while at the same time pampering our guests with amenities. We shine in the areas of waste management, reduced energy demands, water conservation, and educating our guests on how they can help reduce their environmental impact while staying at The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast.
How We Reduce, Reuse & Recycle
All of our business, personal, and guest non-organic waste is sorted for recycling. Recycling of plastics, glass, and metals has reduced landfill waste by 80% in the last five years. In our high season, we produce less than three 13-gallon trash bags of landfill waste for the entire week, after hosting 56 guests each week (8 guests per day x 7 days = 56)!
- Composting all organic materials (including yard waste) in partnership with Garbage to Garden has reduced our landfill waste by approximately 1 ton each year.
- SimpleHuman wall-mount pumps for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and refillable hand soap containers have eliminated the need for single-use disposable containers.
- Providing BeeKind® high-end body products by Gilchrist & Soames which are free of parabens and phthalates. Environmentally-friendly which supports bee research.
- Natural cleaning products instead of toxic cleaning supplies to better protect our water supply.
- Eco-friendly air freshener. Instead of chemicals and synthetic fragrances, we opt for 100% essential oils and non-aerosol scents which reduces and/or eliminates allergic reactions.
- All guest rooms feature low-flow toilets, shower heads, and sinks which has reduced our water consumption by 30%.
- We’ve removed our tubs. Guests rarely used them and an average shower uses around 14% of the water needed for a bath.
- Light bulbs have all been replaced with low-energy LED bulbs.
- We encourage our guests to reuse towels and linens throughout their stay. They are changed every three days, by request, or upon check-out.
- As towels and linens are replaced they are donated to local charities and organizations.
- Eco-friendly and durable (yet extremely comfortable) sheets and pillowcases by Comphy. Also, available for order… just ask us!
- Phosphate-free, high-efficiency, concentrated laundry detergent that smells great!
- Solar path lighting for guest safety at night.
- ENERGY STAR high-efficiency and energy-conserving major appliances.
- As we renovate, non-volatile organic compounds paint is used exclusively.
- 100% paper-free guest communication. All guest communications all done via email, phone, or text message.
- Fresh Drip Coffee: Coffee pod waste is a leading source of single-use plastic waste. All our coffee supplies are provided and brewed locally by Carrabassett Coffee Company.
How Guests Can Help
- Sort your trash into our recycling and composting areas to help reduce waste. You can do this in-room for recycling. Compost is located in the dining room.
- Reduce your water consumption by reusing your towels for multiple days, requesting to keep the same sheets during your stay, and turning off the bathroom faucet while brushing your teeth.
- Conserve your energy consumption by turning off room lights, TVs, fireplaces, and/or air conditioners while you are away from the inn.
Our Eco-Friendly Efforts Have Been Recognized!
Our eco-friendly efforts have helped us achieve a number of recognitions within the lodging industry. Most recently, Yankee Magazine recognized The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast with an Editor’s Choice Award for Best Eco-Friendly Lodging 2019 in the May/June issue.
Click the image below to link to the article.
Since 2013, TripAdvisor has recognized The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast with their GreenLeader Award status. We currently hold a Gold Achievement level—the highest for Portland, Maine.