Reservation Policies and Safety Procedures
We understand that travel plays an important role in our lives and that COVID-19 has affected how we make travel decisions. This challenge requires all of us to shift how we do business and live our day-to-day lives. We have made the following adjustments to the standard policies at our Portland, ME Inn:
- As of May 27, 2021, we are able to host guests from across the United States without any quarantine or testing requirements, subject to the Maine CDC travel ban list.
- Self check-in information will be provided for all our guests to help reduce staff exposure through social distancing.
- The State of Maine requires all guests who are NOT vaccinated to wear face coverings while inside common areas of the building at all times, with the exception of dining while seated.
- We ask that all guests be mindful of social distancing between other guests and staff members.
- Only registered guests are allowed inside the building or on the grounds. No outside visitors will be permitted.
- Maine no longer has capacity limits for dining areas however, we’ve decided to continue asking what time guests would prefer to have breakfast to help with cleaning and sanitation of the dining room. You may also request our to-go breakfast in advance.
- As announced in January of 2021, for reservations with stays after May 27, 2021, we have reverted to our normal one-night deposit and two-week cancellation policies as outlined below.
We will continue to reevaluate our policies as the City and State update their mandates. To learn more about what we are doing for the health and safety of our guests and staff, visit our COVID-19 Updates page.
The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast is proud to offer some of the finest accommodations in Portland, Maine. Before booking your stay, check out our policies below.
For reservations made directly on our website or via phone, a first-night deposit plus lodging tax is required to secure your reservation and will be charged to the Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card provided. If booking your reservation less than 14 days before your arrival, the entire reservation amount will be charged to your credit card.
The remainder of your balance is due at check-in and can be paid by credit card or cash. Your reservation is not confirmed until your deposit has been successfully processed. An automatic confirmation will be sent by our reservation system to the email you provide. Guests electing self check-in or arriving outside of the normal check-in hours will have the remaining balance charged the day that the self check-in information is provided.
Reservations made through third-party websites such as Booking.com, Expedia, HotelTonight, and Airbnb will be charged a 100% deposit at the time of booking.
Friday & Saturday nights must be booked together. There are no check-ins or check-outs on Saturdays. Holiday or special event weekends may include additional night requirements.
Only two guests per room with no exceptions. This is how our rooms are licensed and we cannot allow for additional beds, air mattresses, or children’s bedding in the guest rooms. Children over the age of 14 are welcome but must be accompanied by a family member and count as a guest in the room. All guest names must be listed on the reservation for your safety in the event of an emergency.
Although we love animals, we cannot accommodate pets.
Check-In & Check-Out
Check-ins are scheduled from 2pm to 6pm.
We will text message or call you the day before your arrival to confirm your arrival time. If you are not sure of your arrival time or will be arriving later than 6pm, we will provide you with the self check-in information. It is rare that we can accommodate an early check-in, but we are always happy to store baggage. Please call to make these arrangements in advance.
Check-out is anytime before 11am.
If you need to leave before breakfast is served, please let us know before 6pm the night before and we will be happy to prepare a bagged breakfast to take with you. A late check-out must be arranged in advance with the innkeeper to assure there is ample time to prepare the room for guests arriving later that day.
At The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast, we understand that life sometimes throws a curve ball and plans can unexpectedly change. We make many preparations, including purchases and scheduling our staff, based on reservations. Cancellations affect us greatly, therefore you must agree to the following cancellation policy at the time of booking:
If your plans change after your reservation is confirmed and you booked directly through our website or via phone, cancellation notice is required 14 days prior to your arrival date. With this advance notice, we will refund your credit card deposit minus a $50 cancellation fee, per room reserved. The $50 cancellation fee also applies to changes to your arrival/departure date that result in a shorter stay.
Reservations canceled less than 14 days prior to your arrival date will be charged in full, unless your room(s) is re-booked by another party. We will make every effort to re-book your room(s) and will refund any room(s) we are able to re-book minus a $50 cancellation fee per room reserved.
The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast does not take responsibility for changes to your reservation due to inclement weather, unforeseen changes to travel plans, personal sickness or injury, or family emergencies.
We highly encourage guests to consider purchasing trip insurance in the event an emergency arises that impedes your travel plans. A visit to InsureMyTrip.com to compare affordable options is well worth your travel investment. All canceled reservations, regardless of notice or reason, will be charged a $50 minimum cancellation fee.
No refunds are provided for late arrivals, early departures, no-shows, or weather-related cancellations.
Cancellations MUST be made by phone, not via email.
If you made your reservation through a third-party website such as Booking.com, Expedia, HotelTonight, or Airbnb, you are bound to the cancellation policies agreed to when booking on their website. The cancellation policies on their websites do differ from our standard cancellation policies and range between 50%-100% loss of your deposit. Any reservation made on a third-party website must be canceled through the third-party website.
By booking directly with The Chadwick via www.thechadwick.com or by phone, you are always better protected.
Your room rate includes a full breakfast served each morning between 8am and 9:30am; use of the spacious indoor and outdoor common areas; free high-speed Internet access; off-street parking; non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. Visit our website for all included in-room and house amenities.
The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast is a NON-SMOKING & NON-VAPING property. For the health and safety of our guests, smoking and vaping is not permitted anywhere on the premises, and a minimum $250 cleaning fee is imposed for smoking and vaping inside the house. Additionally, we do not have designated outdoor smoking or vaping areas; we ask that you cross the street. Your complete cooperation is expected.
Driving directions can be found on Google Maps. Please visit our area guide for a list of our favorite restaurants and other suggestions of how to enjoy your time in Portland. Need us to make a reservation for you? Just give us a call at (207) 774-5141.
Any violation of these policies will result in the need to find other accommodations immediately. Refunds will not be considered.
The Chadwick Bed and Breakfast warmly welcomes all guests. However, due to the historic significance of our 1891 classic historic property, the Inn is not wheelchair accessible. Removal of necessary physical barriers for complete accessibility is not readily achievable as such removal would threaten or destroy the historic significance of the property.
The physical barriers of the Inn include the following:
- Elevated access to the entrance of the Inn requires the navigation of steps.
- All emergency exits require the navigation of steps to exit the building.
- There is no elevator to the guest rooms which are all located on the 2nd floor.
- First floor common areas require the navigation of steps to the entrance of the inn.
- Narrow interior hallways and doorways cannot accommodate a wheelchair or scooter.
So that all guests can enjoy the The Chadwick Inn, we work to ensure those with disabilities can enjoy our Inn. Although we cannot offer wheelchair / scooter access, we do make every effort to accommodate those with limited disabilities. For example:
- The Longfellow Room located on the second floor offers an en-suite bathroom with a large tiled walk in shower.
- The Abbott Room located on the second floor offers an en-suite bathroom with a large tiled walk in shower.
Our goal is to ensure that anyone who wishes to visit The Chadwick Inn can do so, regardless of their physical abilities. Among the ways we strive to comply with the ADA:
- It is our standard operating procedure that individuals with disabilities be able to make reservations for an accessible accommodation during the same hours and in the same manner as individuals who do not need an accessible room.
- We have identified and described accessible features as well as physical barriers with enough detail to allow individuals with disabilities to determine independently whether a given guest room meets their accessibility needs.
- It is our standard operating procedure to ensure that our accessible guest room option is held for use by individuals with disabilities. However, we protect our clients’ right to privacy of disclosure.
- We guarantee that an accessible guest room, once reserved, is held for the reserving customer and is removed from all reservation systems. We make reasonable efforts with third-party reservation systems to ensure that an accessible room is available through at least some of these services and that information concerning the accessibility of the room is included on their reservation platform.
- Guests with legitimate service dogs will be provided access to all areas of the inn where members of the public are allowed to go.
For special accommodation needs, please call us directly at (207) 774-5141 so we can help you determine the best guest room to ensure you have a comfortable arrival and enjoyable stay.
We are committed to facilitating the accessibility and usability of this website for all people with disabilities. We will continue to implement the relevant portions of the World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 AA) or such other standards as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). On a periodic basis, our website will be tested with assistive technology. Please be aware that our efforts are ongoing. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us with questions or concerns regarding ADA accessibility issues, including issues accessing the website.
The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast is a United States based business which complies with applicable laws to protect your personal information. As a data controller, upon consent, we will collect and process your personal information in order to provide you with superior service, analyze your travel and accommodation preferences, and inform you of specials, packages and events. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
Individuals located in the European Union have a right to change, request deletion of, or know the extent of personal information collected by our business. Unless required to do otherwise by law, we will honor requests to update, correct, change, or delete personal data following successful identity verification.
The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast has adopted reasonable physical, technical and organizational safeguards which guard against accidental, unauthorized or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure, access, use or processing of the personal data in our possession. Customers and visitors will be promptly notified in the event of any known unauthorized access to, or use of personal data.
Collection and Storage of Personal Data
The processing of personal data, such as the name, address, e-mail address, or telephone number of our customers, shall to the best of our knowledge, be in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and in accordance with country-specific data protection regulations.
- We only collect personal data to be able to deliver accommodations in a safe and legal way for both us and the guest and in line with required regulations.
- As we only use personal data for the purposes mentioned in the point above, we assume guest gives consent by a clear affirmative action (entering their own personal data by themselves and confirming the reservation by pressing a button in the system).
- We collect the following personal data: name, address, phone number, email address, and credit card data.
- We never collect personal data for accompanying children under 16.
- We never use personal data for profiling purposes.
- We never sell or use personal data that we have received to a third party.
- Subscriptions to receive email updates will be held indefinitely.
- You may request deletion of your data from our marketing databases by opting out of consent.
- If you wish to update, remove, or add to the information collected by our website or held by our marketing team, you may submit your request on our website or by email to email@example.com
- Any incident related to a data breach or theft of data is immediately reported to the Privacy Commission.
Customer Access to Data Requests
- If a customer asks for their personal data, we will provide it free of charge.
- We communicate the personal data we store to our customer both through the booking confirmation and in the arrival information. The only exception to this rule is credit card information which we only send encrypted and only upon specific request.
Visiting Our Website
By visiting our website, you consent to the collection and use of your personal data as described herein. If you do not agree with the terms set herein, please do not visit this website. If required by applicable law, we will seek your explicit consent to process personal data collected or volunteered by you. Kindly note that any consent will be entirely voluntary.
Visitors to our website may opt-out of cookies storage at any time and prevent the setting of cookies by means of a setting of the Internet browser used, and may thus permanently deny the setting of cookies.
We operate an email mailing list program used to inform consented subscribers about news, specials, and events. Users subscribe through an online automated process where they give their explicit permission. The subscriber’s personal details are collected, processed, managed and stored in accordance with the regulations named in ‘The policy’ above.
Email marketing messages may contain tracking beacons, tracked clickable links, or similar server technologies in order to track subscriber activity within email marketing messages. Where used, such marketing messages may record a range of subscriber data relating to the customer’s engagement, geographic, and demographics. Through our emails you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time.
Subscriptions to Newsletters
Our customers are informed regularly by means of a newsletter about offers, specials and events. The customer may only receive our newsletter by (1) having a valid e-mail address and (2) the customer consents to the subscription.
The personal data collected as part of a registration for the newsletter is only used to send our newsletter. There will be no transfer of personal data collected by the newsletter service to third parties. The subscription to our newsletter may be terminated by the customer at any time. The consent to the storage of personal data, which the customer has given, may be cancelled at any time. To unsubscribe to our newsletter, a corresponding link is found in each newsletter. It is also possible to unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time by email or in writing.
External Website Links & Third Parties
Although we only look to include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised to adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout our website.
We cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite our best efforts. VIsitors to our website should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and we cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.