Fall is in the air any morning these delicious waffles hit the griddle! Truth be told, we serve these all year long — they just taste THAT good. We make our own pumpkin spice because it’s easy and it cost way less than pre-mixed pumpkin spice. To make your own, combine 3 parts cinnamon, 3 parts ginger, 2 parts nutmeg, and 1 part ground clove. You can store this in an air-tight container for several months. If you need a gluten-free option, substitute the flour with a quality all-purpose gluten-free flour. Either way, you’re going to love these waffles!
For Serving: Real maple syrup and Vanilla Bean Cream
*While at the grocery store, make sure you are purchasing canned pumpkin purée; not pumpkin pie filling.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin purée*
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch with a wire whisk, breaking apart any brown sugar lumps.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice and mix till well combined.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Crack the yolks into a large mixing bowl and the whites in a small mixing bowl.
- To the egg yolks, add the whole milk, pumpkin purée, and melted butter and whisk till combined.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture just till combined. Don’t over mix the batter or else the waffles will be tough when cooked.
- Whip the egg whites using an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the waffle batter.
- While the batter rests, heat waffle iron according to the waffle iron instructions.
- When ready to cook, spray waffle iron with non-stick spray, add batter and cook following the waffle iron instructions. Avoid over-filling the waffle iron.
- Make waffles in batches and serve with maple syrup and a drizzle of Vanilla Bean Cream.